Monday, January 12, 2015

From A Worn Out Boot

My dad spent several years in the Army and later the Reserves while I was growing up. He trampled through the jungles of Central America and later spent time at various military bases in and around the South. I remember being a kid and seeing him dressed up in his uniform. Wearing that camouflage jacket and pants; a puke green shirt underneath. Sometimes I would put that jacket on. Feel the weight of it on my shoulders. I can still feel it wrapped around me and see those sleeves going way past my hands as I marveled at how gigantic it felt. I remember his boots...

He wore a pair of standard issue combat boots. Specifically designed with only one purpose in mind and that was to survive any situation. Those black leather boots that laced all the way to the top and fit like a glove. He used to polish the stew out of those things. I don't recall ever seeing them dirty and if I did, it wasn't for very long. He'd get that black tin can of Kiwi shoe polish and put a shine on those boots like you wouldn't believe. No telling how old those boots were. Cracks and creasing were there, but to me that just added to their appearance. What good are a pair of boots that haven't ever been anywhere?

For some reason I've been thinking a lot about those boots lately. How their flaws were just a part of who they were and didn't get in the way of their purpose. I think in many ways we are all like a pair of combat boots. We are all on a journey. Every day we pull ourselves out of bed and continue down the path in front of us. Each of us having our own share of cracks and creases that we do our best to hide...to smooth out. Far from perfect and flawed in our own little ways that maybe only we can see ourselves. I think it's important to understand this about each other. It's important to realize that at any given time we are all either coming out of, in the middle of, or preparing to go into a life event. We all have things we wish we hadn't said and have been hurt by the actions of others whether intentional or accidental. Like a pair of combat boots none of us are perfect and have traveled millions of miles one step at a time to get to where we are. When we do show our faults...when we unintentionally hurt others or are offended by someone, we should approach the situation with understanding and kindness. Come to the problem with grace and a soft voice. Never intending to throw anyone out like a pair of worn out boots, but to help smooth out the edges so we can all shine like we should.

Only one perfect person ever existed in this world and they stripped him bare, nailed him to a cross, and took him from those that loved him dearly. When we react to others angrily without thought and full of emotion, it hurts everyone involved. We could all stand to walk in one another's boots before casting stones. We could all stand a little bit of polishing every now and then....

Bill iii

No comments:

Post a Comment