Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Holi-Dated Post

The holidays are over. 
Done with. 
Behind us. 

Everyone's favorite time of the year is gone and so are all those days off from work that come with it. Honestly the greatest gift I've ever received as a husband and father is the string of days spent around the house under the warm glow of Christmas lights watching movies with my boys and Mandy. Yes it takes forever to get all the decorations out, but to me there's no better feeling in the world then spending all day and night laughing with my family as the smell of cinnamon wafts through the air. 

The presents were fantastic. The looks on the faces of the boys as they got their new bikes, computers, and various other things were great to see, but the feelings of peace, comfort, and thankfulness that also arrive during those two weeks is something I wish I could bottle up and horde away for the long months ahead. 

Wouldn't it be amazing if you could keep a little Christmas in a bottle and just spray a bit into the air when life starts getting the best of you? Chaos begins to take control of your life, you feel like you're about to drown in a sea of angst, suddenly .... psspt....psspt.... a calm comes over you as Christmas swirls through the air all around. 

This year Christmas fell on a Sunday which is nice considering the fact that those same feelings that come in the last few weeks of the year are also the ones that rise up inside of me during those times I feel closest to Christ. I suspect that if I could bottle the Christmas spirit, I'd wind up with something very close to the Holy Spirit. The main difference being of course that one only occurs annually for a short period of time while the other is available in an unlimited supply all year long. All I gotta remember to do is chose to feel it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment