Thursday, June 29, 2017

There's Not A Friend!

I'm turning 42 this year which seems like a mistake, because in many ways I feel like I'm still in my early 30's. Recently I was talking with a friend about people we have known and where they may be now. I knew a kid in high school that was heavier set, wore glasses, and carried this massive backpack around all day which garnered him the name Turtle. I saw him almost every day for 3 years and then he moved out of state to go to college and I never saw him again. For about five years I worked at a grocery store in 7-Points in Florence. It's where I met my future wife and many of my best friends. I'd work nights during the school year and days during the summer. By the time I left I'd worked in every department of the store and it felt like those days would last forever. I still run into some of those guys from the store every now and then, but I've lost touch with so many of those that I thought would always be around.

This past week within minutes of dropping Adam off at Maywood Christian Camp, he was with his buddy from Huntsville that he only gets to see during this one week of the year. They were in the same cabin for the 3rd year in a row and immediately ran off to toss the football like the year between their last game of catch never happened. I think about friends that have faded away into the background of life, many of which are now just characters in stories I tell, and I wonder where they all went. Inevitably when these times come a song pops into my head and reminds me of the one friend I'll never have to wonder what happened to..."There's not a friend like the lowly Jesus, no not one, no not one" (Johnson Oatman Jr. 1895)

No comments:

Post a Comment