Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Mistakes Along The Way

March is traditionally a busy month for my family what with basketball ending, baseball starting, and both boys having a birthday. From my conversations with many around me, it seems that everyone is running full speed as fast as they can. As if we weren't stretched thin enough, this year marks a new level of activity as Alex takes his first steps onto the baseball diamond. With two boys playing ball at the same time already I can tell I'm going to have several hours each week where I do nothing more than sit in my bleacher seat and shout out words of encouragement.

From a father's perspective, I'll at admit to a rather large sense of anxiety as my children venture into the world of sports. As I mentioned Alex is just starting and already I can't help but feel a strong desire to be next to him every step of the way. As we began walking towards the field for his first practice my baby who had only turned 5 days before looked up at me and said "Daddy...could you carry me out there?". Now I wouldn't normally turn down such a request, but I felt this was something he needed to do on his own. I didn't stray too far though and ended up volunteering to help coach so I could be there when he needed me to help guide him through the paces of what was about to come. I guess if I thought he would let me, I'd be out there standing right next to Adam too.

From the sidelines I look at my boys and in their faces I see so many things. I see hope of making that next play, worry of not having the same talent level as the other kids, and I see myself standing out there feeling those same emotions. My conscience leads me down the trail of worry and before I know it I'm wishing I'd found more time to work on hitting, or throwing. I wonder what I could have done differently to help erase the doubts from their minds that they may never be up to the same standards as others. I guess that's one reason why after a particularly trying afternoon spent fussing with Adam, I made sure he understood that no matter what he does in life....no matter how bad things seem to get or how dark they may appear...his mother and I will always give him another chance to make things right. There's no such thing as striking out when it comes to loving our children.

God loves us that much. Now I'm not going to presume he sits around and worries about us all day or wishes he could do shield us from the difficult things in life, yet he is a God of second chances. I dare say there is not a thing we could ever do that would separate us from that love and the love of Jesus Christ. He could of simply erased Adam and Eve from existence, He could have left the Israelites in Egypt, and like the song goes He could have sent down 10,000 angels to punish those that sacrificed His Son on the cross. None of that happened though and that's where I want to leave you....are you giving those around you second chances? Are you forgiving those that have caused you pain? Are you setting aside differences? If not then you've missed something along the way. God is love and there's no better way to show that love than by looking past someone's missteps and bringing them closer rather than pushing them farther away.

No comments:

Post a Comment