Thursday, June 11, 2015

I may need camp counseling

Adam is going to camp in less then two weeks from now. When we first signed him up a few months back it didn't seem as large and impending as it does now. Kind of like a mountain from a distance that can be seen through your thumb and forefinger. Now that the time has come, from my point of view at the base of this mountain it looks like a terrifying climb.

I guess every parent wishes they could freeze time. We wish we could keep our children deep inside the cocoon we've made of our homes and never let them out, less the worst should happen. I guess if I had to think of all my flaws I'd list keeping up with current events as up near the top. Knowing what's taking place in the world around you is important, but it's also very scary. As the days pass to their inevitable conclusion (the car ride to camp), its my job to constantly remind him how strong he is, to reassure him that he will make new friends and memories that will last a lifetime. He needs to know there's nothing to worry about and nothing he can't handle while away...no matter how much my inner fears struggle to find a voice. Camp is going to be tough on all of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment