Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Fidget Spinner Mania!!

Said many times and never more true than with the Fidget Spinner; it's often the simplest ideas that make the sense (and cents). Take 3 nickel sized sets of ball bearings, pop them into a plastic triangle shaped mold, and make them only available online and what you end up with is a million dollar frenzy that is spinning out of control all over the country. People are quite literally setting up tents, selling them off the truck, and watching the lines get longer and longer as desperate parents try to help their children avoid being the only tyke without one.

Local news is reporting about them, the Today show is spending countless segments covering the craze, and schools have already started banning the fidget spinner because of the distractions they cause. Which is kinda sad once you understand that their original purpose was to help those with anxiety, ADHD, ADD, autism, or those that just can't seem to block out the urge to constantly swing a leg, tap a foot, or hum a song. I've been a nail biter for 41 yrs and thanks to my fidget spinner I'm able to leave my hands alone,avoid nodding off at inappropriate times, and really zone in on what I'm doing while flipping the stew out one of my two spinners.

I get these things are toys to most, but I can't help but think about how useful one would have been to me when I was struggling to pay attention in class and about all those that are struggling today and can't find a solution. Fad yes. Distraction certainly, but like Mandy said to somebody this past week "They are toys for my boys and a necessity for my husband!!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment