Tuesday, October 25, 2016

I don't know (the title of this post)

How do you accidentally throw a turkey sandwich at your older brother? That's just one of the many questions I never thought I would have to ask my children one day. The answer of course is " I don't know". Which seems to be the go to response to several questions around the house lately. How can you fail an open book test? Did you use soap when you took a shower? Who left these bread crumbs in my bed? I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. 

Each night I pray for wisdom, but I also pray that my boys will someday decide to use the brain God put between their ears. This morning during the ride into school I laid out the importance of good grades to Adam yet once again. Beyond the usual talk about how school is his job and good grades are how he gets paid; I got real with him and told him that someday it was going to be up to him to support the family. 

The truth is his mom and I are going to be really old one day and we will have spent all our money bailing Alex out of jail. I then begged Adam to consider a path in law so that Alex would never have to face the legal system with only a court appointed public defendant by his side. Of course I was half kidding, but anyone that throws a turkey sandwich at another person without any idea as to why, is bound to be in trouble with the law much sooner rather than later. I then realized mid-thought that I was talking to a 10 year old boy that routinely failed open book tests with no other answer as to why other then I don't know. 

I may start answering their questions with the same three word response just to see how frustrated they become when faced with such insanity. What's for dinner? Where is my tablet? Do I have lunch money? Where did the TV in my bedroom go? Who took the front wheel off my bicycle? Who keeps making Alex turkey sandwiches and telling him to throw them at me?

No comments:

Post a Comment