Thursday, October 27, 2016

Staying Grounded

Adam is grounded for two weeks due to failing his open book test. Alex should be grounded too but for the life of me I can't figure out what the punishment for throwing lunchmeat should be. There are some things in which passing out punishment is easy; talking back = smack to back of head, bad grade = no TV or video games, hitting = sent to your room....throwing a slice of Carl Budding smoked turkey and a couple pieces of bread at your brother? It's been 2 days and I'm still struggling with that one. 

Grounding is a little like selling stuff at a yard sale in that you always set the price high enough so that you have room to negotiate down and still get a good deal. For Adam that meant he was told 2 weeks, but as the days go by and if he's lucky he will get days off for good behavior. Already Mandy and I are thinking school days only so 14 days has dropped to 10. He about had a heart attack when he realized that Saturday was included in the original two week period. I wonder if he knows the days of the week sometimes simply because he's always surprised when the next one comes and can never figure out when we go to church. "Do we have church today? Are we going twice or once (Wed nights)? Do have to get up and go to school tomorrow?" I literally saw him touch a red hot stove eye once after being told it was hot. In 6 years this person will be operating a motor vehicle. 

Grounding is almost as much a punishment for his parents as it is him...almost but not entirely. Truth be told I've been saving Night at the Museum 3 to watch with him, but if the mood hits me right he might just miss it. Plus I'm not cleaning the liter box at the moment which he can't stand to do. On the other hand, video games and TV do provide a distraction so his mom and I can get other things done without being constantly interrupted with "He won't stop touching me! Get out of my bedroom Alex! Mom Alex threw turkey at me!" I hate turning them into video game zombies, but those moments of piece and quiet are priceless someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment