Thursday, March 9, 2017

No time to remember what this is about

A ton of stuff going on this week, none of it involves getting any rest. Mandy says that I talk about how tired I am at least ten times a day. She's right of course as I can't ever seem to get energized enough. It doesn't help that there is always fifty things going on around the house. Baseball evaluations tonight (which meant getting Adam used to throwing the ball again for the past few weeks), date night this weekend, we got a new couch (thanks Pops!) so the old one is sitting in the dinning room waiting to sell, beside it is a box spring & mattress for Mandy's guest bed that can't be put into the guest room until all the storage is taken to a locker which can't happen until it quits raining every Saturday.

Both boys have birthdays in the next ten days which will bring two private parties so they feel special and then one larger gathering for friends. Adam is studying for the play he has the lead role in (Come see him as Charlie in Willy Wonka this May). My car keeps dying when we least expect it, only to come back to life moments later. Alex just runs around like a crazy person bumping into things half the time. At any given moment I wouldn't be shocked if my phone rang to tell me he's broken a bone. Last month I had to run up to the school because his nose starting bleeding. Typically nose bleeds are caused by dry air or too much picking, but not with Alex. He was playing in gym and ran face first into a wall. I'm not surprised. I once saw Adam run straight into a wooden column at church, do a back-flip, wet himself, and take off running after his friends. Both kids come home all bruised up and never have any idea how they took such a beating. You would think a purple golf-ball sized lump on the leg would at least leave a person with some type of memory even if it's just to serve as a reminder to never do whatever caused it again. Nope!! The same discussion takes place week after week; Me "How did that happen?!" Them "I don't know".

How they can both be so smart and so unaware of what their daily life is like?

"What did you do at school today?"
"How did you do on that spelling test?"
"Did you get to play outside?"
"How did your hair catch on fire?"

I don't know is the answer to all of the above. Sometimes I just stare at them and wonder how they have walking around sense. Of course it must be a genetic problem because you can forget me remembering any conversation after 9:00 p.m. I may be up and walking around until 11:00 p.m., but the brain clocks out at 9:00 p.m.

Mandy and I also have the same conversation at least twice a week:

" Don't forget you promised me (fill in the blank)"
"That wasn't me! I never said I'd do that!"
"Yes you did Bill Beck. You sat right there and promised me it would get done today!"
"What time was it when I made this promise?"
"I didn't write it down, but it was like 9:15."
"What was I doing?"
"You came in the living room around 8:30 and was watching that basketball game that ended in overtime."
"The game went into overtime! I don't remember anything after the first half! Okay I'll do it."

It's a wonder she doesn't drive around in a convertible. All she would have to do is tell me she asked me at 9:30 the night before and I'd have no choice but to agree and sign the registration.


No comments:

Post a Comment